Topic: Food Industry

Subject: ERP Systems Food and Beverage Industry
Bob DiRenzo
Member: 2002
Submitted on 09-23-12 6:46 pm
I am currently employed as a CFO with a mid size firm in the Food and Beverage Industry with my firm residing in the bakery subset of the industry and we are looking for an ERP system. We are currently testing a system called PRIMS to be linked to MAS 500. Can anyone recommend any other systems we should be considering or has anyone had any experience with PRIMS? Thanks.

Replies
Doug Dutton
Member: 2012

Subject: Re:ERP Systems Food and Beverage Industry

Submitted on 09-24-12 2:48 pm.
My previous firm installed PRIMS about 1 year ago. We were by far their largest install and had numerous issues with configuration and data transfer to our ERP system (PRISM). PRIMS recommended solution was to use their PRIMS system for perpetual inventory and receiving transactions...something we were not willing to do. I do not believe this has been resolved yet.
Sorry - do not have an alternative to consider.
Doug

Jeff Sakamoto

Submitted on 10-20-12 6:49 pm.

I would strongly recommend that you look at MS Dynamics NAV. This package is based on Navision Attain, an ERP system that was acquired by MS a year after purchase of Great Plains/Solomon.

NAV is as good an ERP system as I've worked with and is exceptionally suited for manufacturing. The current iteration of NAV allows an unlimited number of "dimensions" which allow you to tailor the system to the kind of analytics that you require in your industry.

The VAR that I recommend you contact is Elypsis; a Napa, CA firm that was founded by Harvey Grant. Harvey focused his development of basic Navision/MS Dynamics NAV on the wine industry. I used his firm to implement Navision when I was CFO of Cyanotech and the resulting conversion provided us with great analysis reporting. Harvey's background as a CPA is unique in the VAR industry and is a big part of why his firm can get results for finance/accounting professionals.

I can be contacted via Linked In if you wish an introduction to Harvey and his team.

Regards,
Jeff H. Sakamoto

Sandy Goodman

Submitted on 11-09-12 3:00 pm.
We implemented MFGPro by QAD in our mid-sized pet food manufacturing company back in 2005, after reviewing a number of systems for capabilities and cost. It is a very robust and scalable system with integrated financials. I know since then they have implemented full .net technology and it is much more user friendly. RCM Technologies out of Troy, MI, is the primary QAD reseller to mid-sized businesses.

OUR SPONSORS:

cfo