Topic: General Posts

Subject: Researching LinkedIn Contacts
Jim Maurno
Member: 2011
Submitted on 02-24-17 7:42 am
As I believe everyone knows, LinkedIn has become an integral part of the job search these days.  Can anyone give me any advice on the best way to troll through the contacts of one of your connections?  When I go through the contacts and stop to research one I come back to the contacts list at the top of the list.  Then I have to scroll through (sometimes over 500 contacts) to find where I left off.  Is there a way to get around this or is it just a limitation of the LinkedIn system?

Thanks,

Jim Maurno

Replies
Robert Lowenwirth

Subject: Re:Researching LinkedIn Contacts

Submitted on 02-24-17 8:58 am.
Jim,

I have encountered the same, so as a work around, I open a second window in order to drill down on the selected contact, then toggle back to the listing in the first window to continue scrolling down the list.

I hope that you get a better, more practical answer than this.  I will be looking for the future responses to improve my search capabilities as well.

Robert Lowenwirth

845-216-8249

Mike Maroon
Member: 2016

Submitted on 02-24-17 10:14 am.
 Hi Jim. I do a lot of worked on LinkedIn and Bob's response is correct in that it's currently the only way to handle it. Another really good way to search is "people that used to work at" which is an option when you research a company. You can find people with the same work history or that worked for a client company of yours, etc. Hope this helps. Mike 

Steve Rabin
Member: 2005

Submitted on 03-12-17 9:12 am.
How about reaching out to your connection and involving him/her to introduce you to one or more of their contacts who might be a good fit?  Trying to scroll through yourself it is hard to tell whether friends of a friend are clients, close friends or just people they once bumped into at an airport, and how receptive they would be to you.  Don't forget to use LI's Outlook and other email tools to connect with people with whom you already have previously corresponded.  Other advice on using LinkedIn can be found in my article here www.taxservice2u.com/~taxsvc2u/images/linkedin.pdf  Kind Regards, Steve Rabin CPA

Robert Van Eck
Member: 2016

Submitted on 03-13-17 6:26 pm.
I believe that there is an archive download option under "Settings: Basics" that you can request LinkedIn to email you a copy of your contacts and some of your personal information that are on your profile/activity history.  Sorry, I have not fully executed this, so I cannot speak to the format and usability, but I was told it was helpful.

Joe Hom
Member: 2014

Submitted on 03-16-17 1:08 pm.
I saw this and tried the suggestion of opening another tab/window.

On a lark I right clicked the contact and selected open in another tab/window and the original window stays at the place of the screened contacts.  I've tried this on IE (Windows) though I'm sure it'll work on other browsers.  On my Mac I hold down the control key and click the touchpad to do the same thing (Chrome).

Hope this helps.

Jim Maurno

Submitted on 03-16-17 4:02 pm.
Thank you to everyone for your responses.  Duplicating the tab so I can keep my place in the list I am scrolling through seems to be the option that would work the best for me right now.  But what I really want is to get the entire list of someone else's contacts into a file (like excel) so I can search that list (could be hundreds of names to search through) for people I think I may know or companies I am interest in.  This would be the fastest option for me as I am comfortable with excel.  And the big positive...I can save an excel file and refer back to it later if I have too much work to do on it at the time.  I hope this clarifies what I am looking for.  Yes, I am stuck on excel when everyone wants to get off of it.  But it is just so easy to use versus everything else.  Maybe I can ask LinkedIn to make that an option?  My guess is they will not want to loose control and allow you to leave the LinkedIn site.

OUR SPONSORS:

cfo