Topic: General Posts

Subject: Looking to educate myself about the Healthcare Space
Marc Intrator
Member: 2010
Submitted on 05-02-17 10:44 pm
Looking for recommendations on appropriate content, publications, media, etc to learn about the Healthcare space.  Like current trends in Healthcare finance, insurance, technology, etc.  Thank you.

Marc Intrator

Replies
Tim Hussain
Member: 2017

Subject: Re:Looking to educate myself about the Healthcare Space

Submitted on 05-18-17 9:53 am.
Hi Marc

Consider visiting any Big 4 websites and type "healthcare" to see new trends. Take a look at this link: http://www.pwc.com/us/en/search-results.html?searchfield=healthcare&tp=long&pwcGeo=US&pwcLang=en&pwcHideLevel=0&pwcSiteSection=

Mike Flanagan
Member: 2003

Submitted on 06-21-17 9:42 pm.
There are a bunch of LinkedIn Groups that are dedicated to various aspects of the healthcare space.

Mike Gelman
Member: 2017

Submitted on 06-22-17 9:56 am.
Marc,

Healthcare is a broad topic.I would try to narrow the topic and go deeper into the setting of care you are interested in.  Physician Pracitces, Hospitals, Long Term Post Acute Care, Senior Living, etc.  After that, research who the major payors are in that space and go through their websites and programs.  CMS has a good website and drives most of the regulation and $.  You should aslo become familiar with the HIPAA, and Stark anti Kickback laws.  Those are typically the hot healthcare finance consulting topics.  Happy to chat if you want to go deeper.

Mike

Richard Archer
Member: 2009

Submitted on 07-06-17 2:32 am.
Hi Mark,

Take a look at YouTube. There are numerous YouTube channels that have videos on a wide range of health care issues, particularly in the area of health care economics.

Mike Gelman is right. Health care is a very broad area with a large number of specialties, even with the finance & administration side of the subject. Even to get a decent general understanding, you are likely to need to narrow the areas you look at.

Tim Hussain's suggestion is very good. All the Big 4 have white papers on the subject of not just health care finance & reporting, but administration, compliance, and other subjects. The PwC site Tim gave is good. I'm a fan of the Deloitte DBriefs series, which offers free webinars as well as periodic newsletters in addition to their white papers on the subject (https://www2.deloitte.com/us/en/misc/search.html#qr=healthcare). (Disclaimer - I have no relationship of any kind with Deloitte.)

Wish you success with your efforts. It is a hugely important subject area.

Best regards,

Richard

OUR SPONSORS: